It's crucial to have a flawless tan on stage: it's one of the most important elements of a competition. However, with so many rules, regulation and different products to choose from, choosing the best color for you and the spray tanner to apply that color has become a challenge. Spray tanning has entered into the bodybuilding world, however, not all competition spray tans are created equally.
When a spray tanner advertises that they'll be offering 'competition spray tanning' at bodybuilding / figure shows, don't automatically assume that it will be an expert in show tanning. Competition spray tans are different from a regular spray tan you would get at your local tanning or beauty salon.
When trying to choose which tanning product you are going to choose for your next show, here are some questions you may want to ask if you're considering a competition spray tan:
- Does the company have a website geared towards competition tanning?
- Do they offer skin preparation instructions?
- How many coats would you need and do they offer advice on this?
- Do they have before and after pictures of their colour?
- Will the tan run or come off if you sweat?
- Do they offer touch ups and/or pre-stage glazing?
- How long do they stay after pre-judging?
- How many competition shows have they done?
- Do they have testimonies/references?
- How does the product hold up on stage?
- How private is the spray tan area?
- How nearby to the show venue is the spray tan being done?
- Do they have male or female spray tan technicians?
- Don't assume a less expensive company will be comparable to a more established, experienced one. Competitive bodybuilding is a costly sport, one that takes countless hours of training, diet and discipline. Tanning is one of the most important things when you step out on stage; don't let an inexperienced spray tan company ruin the chances of you being your best!
Understanding the chemistry of how tanning products work and how competition diets affect competitors' body chemistry is the responsibility of the spray tanning technician. Those that are serious about what they do will have this knowledge and training to work with competitors in this very specialist sport.
Most competitors' will agree that the tanning process is one of the most stressful and dreaded parts of their contest prep, yet it's the one aspect of their prep which they can control. It is the job of a reputable tanning company to alleviate that stress, and to make the experience as pleasant and comfortable as possible.
Choose wisely, ask for pictures and don't be afraid to ask questions!
I highly recommend the professionals at LIQUID SUNRAYZ.
Here are many of the shows they will be covering this season:
- IFBB Desert Muscle Classic Feb 25,2012
- ARNOLD CLASSIC March 2-4,2012
- NPC Natural Cincinnati March 17,2012
- 1st Phorm NPC Midwest Open March 17, 2012
- NPC Northern Kentucky Show March. 24, 2012
- NPC Natural Ohio March 31, 2012
- NPC Midwest Open Bodybuilding April 7,2012
- INBF Natural Buckeye April 14,2012
- NPC Natural Indy April 14,2012
- NPC Ky Derby Festival April 28, 2012
- NPC Fox Cities Showdown April 28, 2102
- NPC Mike Francois May 12,2012
- INBF Tri State May 19,2012
- NPC Jr. USA's May 19, 2012
- NPC GNC Classic June 2, 2012
- NPC Indianapolis Show June 9th, 2012
- Omaha IFBB /NPC June 9,2012
- NPC Jr. Nats June 15-16, 2012
- NPC MD State/East Coast Classic June 30,2012
- NPC MASTERS NATS July 20-21, 2012
- NPC USA'S July 27-28, 2012
- NPC Kentucky State Show Aug 4, 2012
- IFBB Phoenix Pro August 25, 2012
- NPC Jay Cutler Baltimore CLassic Aug 25,2012
- 2012 North Americans Aug.31-Sept 1
- OCB Circle City Sept 8 ,2012
- NPC Natural Northern Oct 6, 2012 (
- NPC Tricky Jackson Classic Oct 27,2012
- The NPC Nat. Monster Mash Oct.27, 2012
- Shawn Ray Pro Classic/NPC Balt/WA OCT27,2012
- KY Muscle PRO Figure/NPC Nov 3,2012
- IOWA IFBB/NPC SHOW Nov. 3, 2012
- NPC Nationals November 9-10, 2012
- Be sure to schedule early for your show! Scheduling Link: https://instant-scheduling.com/sch.php?kn=316424
Tanning Tips for First Time Competitors
- In most cases, two coats of Liquid Sun Rayz competition Bronzer applied the day or night before the competition is sufficient. However, for those who are extremely fair, it may be advisable to apply a base coat two days before competing. This coat can be showered off before applying the final two coats the day before competition.
- If we are going to be on site for the show you are competing in, we suggest scheduling an appointment with us for Friday afternoon/night at the hotel. We would then apply at least two coats of competition color. If more color depth is needed, then we would apply an additional coat early the morning of competition. The color will develop over night and darken.
- For the very best results, spend the week prior to competition moisturizing your body using a moisturizer, we recommend Liquid Sun Rayz Body Butter (but not the day of). The day before you receive your competition tan, exfoliate with an oil free body scrub, such as Liquid Sun Rayz Citrus Sugar Scrub. Pay special attention to the knees, elbows, hands feet and heels. The better condition your skin is in, the better our product will absorb, the more flawless your tan will look, and you will have a more even fade after the competition.
- The day of your spray tan, do NOT use moisturizer or deodorant Wear old, LOOSE fitting clothing. It is also recommended that you do not put your posing suit on, or any other tight restrictive clothing, after having your color applied for at least 4-5 hours. Please try to have your posing practicing finished before being sprayed!
I highly recommend the professionals at LIQUID SUNRAYZ.
Here is the difference that an amazing tan can make!